Human foot has
– 26 bones
– 56 ligaments
– 8 major muscles
The human foot is a highly specialized structure containing 26 relatively small bones, more than 150 ligaments and an intricate network of muscles, nerves and blood vessels.
- When walking, each time your heel lifts off the ground it forces the toes to carry one half of your body weight.
- It’s rare that two feet are exactly the same; one of them is often larger than the other.
- In a pair of feet, there are 250,000 sweat glands.
- Cigarette smoking is the biggest cause of Peripheral Vascular Disease (disease of the arteries of the feet and legs) which often leads to pain on walking, ulceration, infection and in the most severe cases – gangrene and possible amputation.
- A human foot & ankle is a strong, mechanical structure that contain 26 bones, 33 joints, and more than 100 muscles, tendons & ligaments.
- During an average day of walking, the total forces on your feet can total hundreds of tons, equivalent to an average of a fully loaded cement truck.
- Walking is the best exercise for your feet. It contributes to your general health by improving circulation and weight control.
- 75% of Americans will experience foot problems at one time or another in their lives.
- The average person will walk around 115,000 miles in a life time, that’s more than four times around the earth! The average person takes 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day, which adds up to about 115,000 miles over a lifetime.
- 1/4 of all the bones in the human body are down in your feet. When these bones are out of alignment, so is the rest of the body.
- Women have about four times as many foot problems as men. High heels are partly to blame.
- Walking barefoot can cause plantar warts. The virus enters through a cut.
- The record for the world’s largest feet belongs to Matthew McGrory who wears US size 28 1/2 shoes. The average men’s size is 10 1/2.
- Fingernails and toenails grow faster during hot weather, pregnancy and teenage years.
- The feet can contract an array of nasty diseases from communal showers: Planter Wart, Athletes foot, Ring worm!